Sunday was stay-at-home film extravaganza. Some were amazing (Vivian Maier, In A World....) some started out slow and then got interesting (Maladies) and some were just "meh" (A Fantastic Fear of Everything). I realized I could live very happily watching film after film after film after film. Surprising only that I've never done it before.
Maladies started out slow and several times I was tempted to turn it off. But by the end I appreciated where it had taken me, what it had to say about art and life and patience and stereotypes. Note to self: Always trust Catherine Keener, never seen a bad film from her.
"In A World..." with Lake Bell and all sorts of other cameos, a smart, funny film about a little corner of the film business that is rarely talked about. Deserved a bigger audience.
Finding Vivian Maier, my favorite of the bunch. I'd already seen her amazing black and white photos, so was curious. Put together well, almost a mystery, trying to figure her out, who was she, why did she hide behind her job being a suburban nanny for so many years, where did she really come from, was that accent real (and what was that accent)? I didn't realize she had taken Super8 films as well as stills and I didn't realize she left behind hundreds of thousands of undeveloped negatives when she died. Such a strange soul, but what a unique vision. Still love her photographs. Amazing eye.
A Fantastic Fear of Everything is one of those films you see on Pay per View that stars somebody (Simon Pegg) you usually like in comedies and you think, hey! Here's one I've never heard of! Can't wait! OMG. The writer must have been a friend of his. Horrid little, ridiculous film. Absolutely should have stopped watching it about 20 minutes in, but I kept on, silly me. Complete waste of time.




No comments:
Post a Comment