Saturday, January 12, 2013

Zero Dark Thirty

Finally opened here in Tucson, so went to the first matinee today. Theater was packed (unusual for Tucson). 

It was a pretty edge-of-my-seat type of film. I did love Jessica Chastain's role. Even though there is *so much* straight torture scenes, I have mixed feelings about those scenes and wanna think on them more. On the one hand, very uncomfortable making, which is good, but otoh, stylized a bit and they pull back a bit and I think maybe Bigelow or their editors were wanting to stay as "neutral" as they could, politically. So... disturbing, but I'm not sure it was in a good way, that is, in a way that makes any difference whatsoever or even makes a point. 

So.... another film where a ridiculous amount of secondary roles were cast with familiar faces, really hate that. 

And, like with Lincoln, you know the outcome, so the proof is how they build the suspense, which they do quite well I thought. I wouldn't compare it with Homeland at all and certainly not with Claire Danes (who I love, but really, she's a coco bird and Chastain is not). 

And I'm glad that more and more films are being made about all of this so there is a variety of types to compare and contrast. I think that's important too. 

Almost fav part, the first 5 min in the dark. So effective (for me). 

But... best film? Hrmmmmm.... I still like Beasts of the Southern Wild best, but have not seen Les Mis. Beasts just had so many new things up on the screen, it felt fresh and new and exciting from a new, young storyteller. It won't win, but now I have another director to watch. That's always exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment